Re: [ferret_users] Bitwise operations in Ferret

Dear Bill,

I had the same problem when dealing with MERIS data.
I've used a repeat cycle to iteratively define a series of variables
(f1_"bit") that extract the value of each bit using decreasing powers of
2, the INT() and MOD() function.

Here is the code I wrote to extract the land,cloud,water and pcd's flags
from a 2D var - "mds" containing the real representation of 8bit flag
word.

let f1_7 = int(mds/2^7); let r1_7 = mod(mds,2^7)

repeat/range=6:0:-1/name=pw ( \
 let f1_`pw` = int(r1_`pw+1`/ 2^`pw`);\
 let r1_`pw` = mod(r1_`pw+1`,2^`pw`);\
)

let/tit=land  land  = if f1_7 then f1_7
let/tit=cloud cloud = if f1_6 then f1_6
let/tit=water water = if f1_5 then f1_5

let not_cloud = if cloud then 1/0 else 1

let/tit=pcd_1_13 pcd_1_13 = if f1_4 then f1_4
let/tit=pcd_14   pcd_14   = if f1_3 then f1_3
let/tit=pcd_15   pcd_15   = if f1_2 then f1_2
let/tit=pcd_16   pcd_16   = if f1_1 then f1_1
let/tit=pcd_17   pcd_17   = if f1_0 then f1_0

I hope that helps,

Regards,

Paulo.
Paulo B. Oliveira
INRB / IPIMAR - Sea and Fisheries Research Lab.
Av. Brasilia
1449-006 Lisboa
Portugal
Tel.: +351 213027068