Re: [ferret_users] Unable to allocate memory greater than 500 Mword on MacPC

Zhen,

| I have a MacPC (Mac OS X version 10.5.6) with 12GB memory, and I installed
| ferret on its X window system (linux). But I couldn't request memory above 500
| Mword. I got an error message:
|
| ferret(32487) malloc: *** mmap(size=2400002048) failed (error code=12)
| *** error: can't allocate region
| *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
| Unable to allocate 600.000000 Mwords of memory.
| Restoring previous memory of 500.000000 Mwords.
|
| I wonder if anyone know how to get around this problem.

Go to the Ferret homepage > "email users group" > "search the archive".
You can then find past posts talking about this problem.

Today, the search doesn't work for me for some reason.
I searched Google instead with the keywords of "ferret mac memory"
(without the quotation marks) and found the following post:

  http://tazman.princeton.edu/pipermail/osx/2006/000026.html

which quotes posts from the Ferret mailing archive.

The bottom line seems to be that 2GiB ( == 2 x 2^30 bytes =~ 2.15GB)
is the limitation of the MacOS implementation of Ferret.

Regards,
Ryo