Re: [ferret_users] Ferret can't read netcdf file on Mac OS X (...without ncdump then ncgen)

Thanks to Russ below, who provided a much quicker solution than I had, by pointing me to the netcdf file version of the model output.

$ ncdump -k cam_output.nc                                                           # which netcdf version? (Could also use 'od' as per Russ' example)
64-bit offset
$ ncks -fl_fmt=classic cam_output.nc cam_output_ferret.nc    #convert to ferret-readable format (much quicker than ncdump/ncgen!)
$ ncdump -k cam_output_ferret.nc
classic

The NCO operators on my system were built with netcdf3, so I do not have access to "netcdf4_classic" format. Still, the "classic" format works fine in ferret. For reference, see the NCO web pages: http://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.html#Selecting-Output-File-Format

So, is my earlier problem (ferret not reading 64-bit offset netcdf files) due to my having an older version of ferret? Are there any plans to make Mac OS X a fully supported operating system for future ferret releases? :-)

Cheers,

Paul