[ferret_users] Running ferret on a Linux machine through a VNC server

Background:  On land I run ferret on a networked Linux computer running the Red Hat operating system, but I do it through X-windows on my networked Macintosh.  I open one or more X-windows on my Mac, and run ferret within those with no problems.  I can produce plots and make gifs of them using the FRAME/FORMAT=GIF command.

Our group also goes to sea.  There I am often the only user of the Linux computer, and I sit at its console running ferret within an X-window within the Red Hat GUI.  That GUI has some nice graphical tools that I can take advantage of.

Back on land, it has been pointed out to me that I could have the "look and feel" of the Red Hat GUI on my Mac if I run a VNC (virtual network computer) server on the networked Linux machine and a VNC client on the Mac.  I downloaded "Chicken of the VNC" - the favored, free, Mac VNC client to my Mac - and it really does work.  It's just like sitting at the Linux console with all the Red Hat GUI tools available.  I can open X-windows there and run ferret.  BUT there is a problem.  The ferret graphical display window looks the same as ever, but I cannot capture the graphic with the FRAME/FORMAT=GIF command.  Ferret just hangs without responding.

Questions:  Has anyone captured a graphic as a gif successfully with a VNC client?  On a Mac or any other machine?  Is the problem that ferret cannot capture a gif through a VNC?  If so, can that be worked around?  Or is it a Mac problem?  Or is it a Chicken of the VNC problem?

P.S. We thought it might be a backing store issue, and we've installed the latest VNC server on Red Hat.  It supports X-window backing store.  When I overlap a ferret graphics window with a text window and then uncover it again, the graphics window repaints, so backing store seems to be working.

Edward D. (Ned) Cokelet, Ph.D. Oceanographer
NOAA/PMEL                         off:  (206) 526-6820
7600 Sand Point Way NE     fax: (206) 526-6485
Seattle, WA 98115-6349

The contents of this message are mine personally and do not necessarily reflect any position of the Government or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.