Re: [ferret_users] Follow-up on: bins in frequency_histogram.jnl

Hi all,
Just a couple of general comments here. Using Ferret itself to check what's in the data and experimenting with a script is a great idea. Sometimes creating some synthetic data and applying a script or function to that is helpful -- here one could try applying the script with different bins to a variable xx = x[x=1:100] or some such thing.

One can also always look at any script, and read the comments the authors included, with

  yes? go/help frequency_histogram

Stephen, your previous message mentioned that frequency_histogram2.jnl calls the function bin_index_wt which is missing from the Ferret releases. That's an external function and I have put it into the downloads files for linux 32-bit and 64-bit from our downloads page; it will also be included in the next Ferret release in the ferret executable as a statically-linked function. If you want it now, download and install the appropriate Ferret Executables tar file from
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/static/Downloads/ferret_downloads.html

Ansley

Stephen Guimond wrote:
All,

I did some tooling around and found an answer to my question.  It looks like the routine "frequency_histogram.jnl" look for values within the desired bin CENTERED on the value and INCLUDING the edges....

yes? SET DATA levitus_climatology
yes? GO  frequency_histogram temp[X=0:360,Y=0:45N,Z=0] 0 32 0.5

I looked at temp 27.50 and found 1107 occurrences.  To check the number is correct the search must look like this...

yes? let test = if temp[X=0:360,Y=0:45N,Z=0] ge 27.25 and temp[X=0:360,Y=0:45N,Z=0] le 27.75 then temp[X=0:360,Y=0:45N,Z=0]

yes?let good = test[i=@ngd,j=@ngd,k=@ngd]

This verifies the value of 1107.  It was useful for me to know that information, hope it will be for others, too.

Steve

Stephen R. Guimond
Graduate Research Assistant
Florida State University
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies (COAPS)