Re: [ferret_users] time axis for perpertual year run

Hi Glenn
What's happening here is that each FILL command has no way to extrapolate to the outer edges of the grid boxes.  z1[L=12] doesn't know about z2[L=13], and vice versa, so has no way to fill the gap between the last coordinate point of the first variable and the first coordinate point of the second.  If you did a SHADE command, I think you'd see the whole region filled in, but you want a filled contour.

What you need is a single variable covering the whole 5 years, or whatever it is. I haven't tested this, but what about something along these lines
let z1 =  z[d=1,gt=y5@asn]
let z2 =  z[d=2,gt=y5@asn]
let z3 =  z[d=3,gt=y5@asn]

let s1 = if L le 12 then z1 else 0
let s2 = if L ge 13 and L lt 24 then z2 else 0
let s3 = if L ge 25 and L lt 36 then z3 else 0

let var = s1 + s2 + s3 ...
fill var

Glenn Carver wrote:
I have a monthly mean netcdf files from a run of a model which has run 2001 repeatedly. Each year is in one netcdf file. I want to view the files as a time sequence rather than treat them as a climatology but am not sure how best to create the new time axis. As each file is for '2001' I need to create a new time axis in order to see the sequence of years.  I've done this by:

def axis/t=1:60:1 y5

I need use the @asn operator for each netcdf file and overlay the years, like this:

def axis/t=13:24:1 y2
def axis/t=25:36:1 y3

let/d=1  z1=z[gt=y5@asn]
let/d=2  z2=z[gt=y2@asn]
let/d=3  z3=z[gt=y3@asn]

and plot by:

fill z1
fill/over z2
fill/over z3

The first plot 'fill z1' gives a time axis for the full 5yrs but only the first 1-12 months filled as the first netcdf file has only 12 months. The next commands then fill months 13-24 and 25-36 respectively.

This works just fine but the problem is that I get a gap between the months 12-13 and 24-25 (see plot).  I'd like the figure to be continuous.

Anyone know a way round this?

Thanks,   Glenn