Re: [ferret_users] Installation problem

Saji,

| I am using ubuntu 8.04. I had a problem when executing the 'ferret'
| command. It says
|
| "ferret: error while loading shared libraries: libtermcap.so.2:
| cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
|
| as the error. What to do?

Here's a general recipe of solving this kind of compatibility
problems.

Search Google for libtermcap .  You'll find an RPM package containing
libtermcap version 2, such as

   libtermcap-2.0.8-41.i386.rpm

Download it.  Then convert it to a .deb package, like so:

   $ su -
   # cd /var/tmp
   # alien /some/path/to/libtermcap-2.0.8-41.i386.rpm

Then, you'll obtain a .deb package like

   libtermcap_2.0.8-42_i386.deb

Finally, install it as

   # dpkg -i libtermcap_2.0.8-42_i386.deb

If you don't have the alien command, install it using apt-get,
aptitude, or an equivalent commend.

Hope this helps,
Ryo