Re: [ferret_users] create go files on the fly

David,

| I have a script in which a chunk of code is used several times, so I
| copied and pasted it into several different places. Then I thought,
| well, maybe I can shorten my script by wrapping that chuck of code
| in an additional go file, and if possible, on the fly. So I tried
| the following,
|
| sp cat << EOF > tmp.jnl
|
| my code here
|
| EOF
|
| go tmp.jnl
| go tmp.jnl
| sp rm -f tmp.jnl
|
| But it doesn't work. The lines in between two EOF didn't find
| themselves in the file tmp.jnl. Has anyone done similar tricks
| before? I really like the idea of creating files on the fly...

I think it's much more flexible to use a shell script as your
"main" program, like so:

   #!/bin/sh
   cat <<EOF > tmp.jnl

   your code here

   EOF

   cat <<EOF > tmp2.jnl
     go tmp.jnl
     go tmp.jnl
   EOF

   ferret -script tmp2.jnl

   rm tmp.jnl tmp2.jnl

Your original style doesn't work because "SP" invokes a shell
and exits before the next line of your Ferret script starts.

Cheers,
Ryo