Re: [ferret_users] meridional overturning streamfunction

Hi Ryo and Olivier,

Thanks very much for the explanations. Having checked the dimensional axes of the example model output (ncar_ccsm_3_0) from the ipcc4 database, I found the variables are staggered on the B-grid, and the pre-cooked meridional overturning streamfunction (stfmmc) is located at the same latitudes as (u, v) and staggered in the vertical direction. Integrating from the bottom definitely gives a better matching (reproduce with the following script), but doesn't eliminate noisiness and discrepancy esp. in the upper ocean of my interest (which is intuitive since we integrate v from bottom up). Since it's an integration, the error can easily accumulate up.

It's good to use the pre-cooked meridional overturning streamfunctions (stfmmc) in the ipcc4 database, but only a limited number of runs have reported this particular variable. For example, ncar_ccsm3_0 doesn't have it for the scenario A1B, ukmo_hadcm3 doesn't report this variable at all. That's the reason why I was to calculate it from the meridional velocity. anyway...

D.

! the meridional velocity
use "http://esgcet.llnl.gov/cgi-bin/dap-cgi.py/ipcc4/20c3m/ncar_ccsm3_0/pcmdi.ipcc4.ncar_ccsm3_0.20c3m.run1.ocn.mo.xml?vo,time,depth,lat_395_a,lon_320"

! the pre-cooked meridional overturning streamfunction
use/order=zxyt "http://esgcet.llnl.gov/cgi-bin/dap-cgi.py/ipcc4/20c3m/ncar_ccsm3_0/pcmdi.ipcc4.ncar_ccsm3_0.20c3m.run1.ocn.mo.xml?stfmmc,time,region,depth_41,lat_395"

let psi_precooked = stfmmc[d=2,i=4]/1e6
let psi_calculated = vo[d=1,x=@din,z=@iin]/1e6 - vo[d=1,x=@din,z=@din]/1e6

ppl cross 1