Re: [ferret_users] Why plot/thick=2 does not work sometimes

Hi Peng,
We have not had any reports of this kind of crash.  It's interesting that you say GO line_thickness works fine, but not your script, with /LINE=8
let xt=I[I=1:25]
let var1=sin(xt)
plot/line=8 var1
Is that correct?

What is the computer platform, and what does the Ferret header say when you start Ferret?  For instance,

        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v6
        Linux(g77) 2.4.21-32 - 08/23/06
         8-Jul-08 13:00

Can you run other scripts, for example:

yes? go tutorial

Ge Peng wrote:
Hi Peng,

Hi Jaison,

Thanks for your e-mail and suggestions.

 Which version of Ferret are you using?  V6.

Do you find the display
(x-windows) from remote machine to be fine?  Yes.

Are you running Ferret in
batch mode with -gif option?   No. I am running ferret interactively.

In that case see these discussions :

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2004/msg00884.html
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2005/msg00477.html

          Though this is may not be a solution to your problem, i would
like to mention that, /color or /line argument with numerical values
from 1-18 can be used for color+line_thickness (1-6 is thick=1, 7-12 is
thick=2 and 13-18 is thick=3). So, any of the following commands will
give you the same thick red line

       plot/color=2/thick=2 i[i=1:10]
       plot/color=8  i[i=1:10]
       plot/line=8   i[i=1:10]

I have tried all three and none of those worked: got the same segmentation
fault error.

see how does the following demo works on your remote machine :

       yes? go line_thickness

It works fine and I got a figure showing the line thickness in colors with
difference line numbers.

It is a basic and simple plot. The fact that it crashes for line options
puzzles me.  It may be a set-up issue when installing ferret.  I am just
wondering if anyone else has encountered the same problem before I send an
e-mail to the system adm.

Thanks,

--- Peng

Thanks and Regards,

Jaison

Hi, ferret users:

I am trying to make a plot of time series using
plot/thick=2/color=blue.

It keeps on crashing on one of the NASA Columbia super computers. I
played
a bit with the script and it turned out that the computer does not
thick=2
option. I really like to have a thicker line. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

--- Peng

Here is a log on the supercomputer:

ferret -gif

        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v6
        Linux(g77) 2.4.20 - 09/11/06
        30-Jun-08 15:19

yes? go _mytest_plot.jnl
let xt=I[I=1:25]
let var1=sin(xt)

plot/thick=2/color=blue var1
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have tried the same script on a local machine and it worked without
problem (see the log below) but it would be too time consuming to
transfer
data from the super computer to the local computer all the time:

ferret -gif

        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v6
        Linux(g77) 2.4.21-32 - 08/23/06