Re: [ferret_users] problem with EF rect_to_curv

Hi all,
After a few more experiments, Andrew and I found that because his rectilinear data is on a global grid and the curvilinear data only a subset of the grid, the rect_to_curv function does something odd with the modulo wrapping. That needs some more investigation, but the solution to get a good regridding is to restrict the variable on the rectangular grid to a region matching what's in the curvilinear coordinates. Something along these lines:
! Get limits for the curvilinear longitudes and latitudes
yes? stat lon
yes? stat lat

yes? let var_curv = rect_to_curv(rvar[x=-36:44,y=33:73], lon, lat, 2)
yes? shade var_curv, lon, lat

Andrew Ferrone wrote:
Dear ferreters

I'm working with a regional climate model, which is defined in curvilinear coordinates. For the moment I need to interpolate some globale data on a 1°x1° regular grid onto my curvilinear grid (0.2°x0.2°). For this purpose I tried the external function rect_to_curv in ferret (the lon and lat were used from the output of the regional model). The output I produced was not the one I attended.

I've attached the original data (on the region I am interested in) in CLM_inerpol2.tiff and the result in CLM_inerpol2.tiff. There is clearly a problem when the interoplation crosses the 0° meridian. Has anyone experienced some similar problems with this function and knows hoa to resolve it?

Any help and suggestion is welcome!

Thanks a lot

Andrew

Andrew FERRONE
Physicist, PhD student
Regional climate modelling, Climate Impacts of Aviation

Université catholique de Louvain (UCL)
Institut d'astronomie et de géophysique G. Lemaître (ASTR)
Chemin du Cyclotron, 2, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Phone: +32 (0)10 473365   Fax: +32 (0)10 474722
E-mail: andrew.ferrone@xxxxxxxxxxxx