[ferret_users] creating, shading, wrting a data subset

Hi Ferreters,

I have an easy question.

I have two datasets defined over the same grid (the entire globe).
I would like to take the values of dataset A for a defined region (let's say South America) and "paste" them to replace the values of dataset B for the region considered.

[ Then I would like to write the new composite variable in a netcdf file. ]

I might have missed something in the documentation, because I tried something like :

------------------------------------
LET varA = [d=Adata.nc, l=1]
LET varB = [d=Bdata.nc, l=1]

DEFINE region/x=-100:-30/y=-60:20 mysubregion

let varC = varA[@mysubregion] !Here I try to define the new variable with values of varA over the region I am intersted in, and "novalues" everywhere else. let varD = if varC GT 0 then varC else varB ! Then, through a quick test, I create the ultimate variable with varA values over the subregion and varB values everywhere else.
-------------------------------------
... but it doesn't work. I guess it's not the proper way to do it.

Any clues ?

Thanks a lot,
Pierre

begin:vcard
fn:Pierre Sepulchre
n:Sepulchre;Pierre
org:UCSC - Dpt of Earth and Planetary Sciences;Paleoclimate and Climate Change Lab
adr:;;;Santa Cruz;California;95060;USA
email;internet:pierrese@xxxxxxxx
title:Postdoc
tel;work:(+001) 831 459 3504