Re: [ferret_users] How to plot polygons?

Hi Kek,
For data laid out like that I think it would be better to read it in on a grid. With four vertices per polygon and say 100 polygons you might then use:

   def axis/x=1:100:1 xax ;def axis/y=1:4:1 yax ; def grid/x=xax/y=yax grd
   file/g=grd/var=xx,yy/col=8/ord=yx testpoly.d
   poly/line=2/coord=y xx,yy

This will draw all the polygons with a red line perimeter. The important step here is to get the reading order right - that is the purpose of the "var=xx,yy/col=8/ord=yx" in the "file" command which says to read all four pairs from a record arranged as x1,y1,x2,y2,x3,y3,x4,y4 like in your situation.

Good luck,
Mick
-------
hengkek@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all

I have an ascii file with 8 columns and multiple rows in the following format:

x1 y1 x2 y2 x3 y3 x4 y4

where (x1,y1) thru (x4,y4) are vertices of polygons I'd like to plot.

I'm not sure how to form the arrays to use POLYGON. I.e. what to do after "FILE/VAR=X1,Y1,X2,Y2,X3,Y3,X4,Y4 MYFILE.TXT"?

Thanks for any tips.

Sincerely
Kek