Re: [ferret_users] Does anyone still use HDF animations?

Hi Ansley and colleagues,

I have already used once. It is really cool if you think you can make a movie
using just one command line. But the problem is: you have to convert it to
another popular format to show (or send) the results to other people, and
following the indicated tools to do it (in Ferret manual and homepage), I
could not find binaries for Linux or wasn't able to compile the source codes.

The link ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF/HDF/contrib/NCSA/HDF2MPEG/ is broken and
should be replaced by ftp://ftp.hdfgroup.org/HDF/contrib/NCSA/HDF2MPEG. Once
again I downloaded the sources and wasn't able to compile them to Linux.

I have to put it clearly... I'm not complaining. I would like to say that the
guys that work developing the Ferret really do a tough and great job! Every
time I have an opportunity I show it to my colleagues and try to convince them
to use it. Nevertheless it would be great if you could include an option to
make a mpeg file directly.

The animated gifs are OK but you don't have the same flexibility the movie
players offers. I have tried to convert the animated gifs using ffmpeg but the
result is poor. The image has shadows and problems with resolution.

Maybe some colleague could share his experiences in making movies in Ferret.

By the way, instead of whirlgif, I use gifsicle in my Linux box. The official
whirlgif page address point to a page written in Danish. Seems the address has
changed. I could not find the right one using Google. The gifsicle binaries
are packed to most of Linux distributions. And there is a gif viewer (gifview)
you can use to open the animated gifs made.

Best regards,
--
Luiz Alexandre Guerra
Aluno de Doutorado / Graduate Student

Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro / Rio de Janeiro Federal University
COPPE/PEnO / Ocean Engineering Program