Re: [ferret_users] spurious ripples in ps shade plot

Hi All,

On Feb 11, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Matthew Hecht wrote:

Thanks to Ryo Furue, Pierre St-Laurent, Andrew Wittenberg and Jaison. My problem with spurious lines and ripples in a shade plot was not coming from the conversion step done by Fprint (gksm2ps), but from subsequent conversions. I work on a mac, and hadn't quite focussed on the obvious fact that I ordinarily print ps from preview -- which converts to pdf. Turning off anti-aliasing of text and line art (in preview, this is under preferences/pdf) solved my problem.

I use ferret, GMT, and R to make plots on OS X, and my experience is that I get these whitish antialiasing artifacts in gridded image postscript from both ferret and R, but not GMT. I suspect that ferret and R are calling postscript-writing functions from some system library in a manner that triggers this issue, whereas GMT does it differently.

Note that turning off antialiasing in general is not a satisfying answer, since many programs (not ferret, unfortunately) use real postscript fonts that look much better with antialiasing. Some versions of Adobe Reader allow separate control over image and text antialiasing, but I also find that Reader almost never displays the artifacts.

-Andy

--
Andy Jacobson
andy.jacobson@xxxxxxxx