Re: [ferret_users] nc2mc.sh

Dear Yangxing Zheng,

nc2mc is a tcsh-script, it might be that you need to change
the first line from
#! /usr/bin/tcsh -f
into
#! /bin/tcsh -f
or another path.
You can check this with 'which tcsh' on your system.
Then 'chmod u+x nc2mc' and run it with "./nc2mc".

The list of files in this script is simply generated with
set list0 = `echo *$namefrag*.nc`, i.e., the order of files is determined by
the way how the tc-shell  expands the '*'.
Something like 'find' or an additional sorting might be better suited ...

Now to your resulting mc-File:
The first stepfile-record seems to be OK (does it contain only 1 time step ?),
all others are strange.

Four questions:
Does the time axis in all of your files have the same name ?
Is the time axis equidistant (and does it have the same unit ?) ?
Which command line parameters did you apply (try 'nc2mc -h') ?

The first two 'yes' are prerequisites to make nc2mc work!

Can you provide the 'ncdump -c' of the first files in your list ?

Yours,

Patrick Joeckel

> Hi,
>
>   Thanks. You are right, I try ./nc2mc.sh instead of
> nc2mc or ./nc2mc or nc2mc.sh on the prompt.
>
>   Attached is the .mc file that is very strange. When
> I run nc2mc.sh, there are errors:
> /usr/local/bin/ncdump: Variable not found for each
> time point.
>
>   Any suggestions? I really need to know the usage of
> nc2mc.sh. By the way, I use ferret V5.7 alpha (Mac),
> based on the statement in the mannual "Previous to
> version 5.2 Ferret performs sanity checking on the
> data set by comparing these time coordinates with
> those found in the data files as he data are read. In
> version 5.3 and higher no sanity checks are performed.
> This means that the MC descriptor mechanism can be
> used to associate into time series groups of files
> that are not internally self-documenting with respect
> to time", the time in each nc file should be voided
> and any time series should follows the .mc file.
>
>   Can anyone tell me what is wrong with creating mc
> file?
>
>    Thanks a lot.
>
>   Yangxing
>
> --- Roman Tonkonojenkov <romantonk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Yangxing,
> >
> > Try this:
> > $ chmod 777 nc2mc
> > AND:{
> > $ nc2mc.sh
> > OR
> > $ ./nc2mc.sh
> > }
> > If this still does not work, check the shebang (the
> > first line of the script).
> > If this is a bash script, it should
> > say:
> > #!/bin/bash
> > The last word in the shebang is the shell under
> > which it is supposed to be
> > executed.
> > Try switching to the shell, indicated by the
> > shebang, and run the script in
> > that shell
> > (I assume you know how to do this...)
> >
> > Hope this helps...
> > Roman
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 05:18 PM, yangxing zheng
> > <yangxingz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > >    I try to convert a collection of nc files into
> >
> > .mc
> >
> > >file using the tool nc2mc. I download it from
> > >http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~joeckel/nc2mc/
> > >
> > >    My machine is Mac, I chmod 755 nc2mc, then on
> >
> > the
> >
> > >prompt, just simply type nc2mc ,
> > >But it still does not work, error message: tcsh:
> > >nc2mc.sh: Command not found. can anyone help?
> > >
> > >    Thanks!
> > >
> > >   Yangxing
> >
> >__________________________________________________________________________
> >__________
> >
> > >Be a better friend, newshound, and
> > >know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

>_________ Be a better friend, newshound, and

Dr. Patrick Joeckel
Max Planck Institute for Chemistry
Joh.-J. Becher Weg 27
55128 Mainz                   phone:++49-6131-305452
Germany                       fax  :++49-6131-305436
                             e-mail:joeckel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                         http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~joeckel