Re: [ferret_users] meridional overturning on isopycnals

Hi Till,

| Anybody out there who computed the meridionally intergrated
| overturning streamfunction on isopycnals of a z-level model?

I've never done that in Ferret (I use Fortran for that purpose), but
Jaci's method here:

  http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2007/msg00673.html

seems to be the way to go.  You integrate horizontal velocities from
the bottom in z-coordinates to obtain a "cumulative" (running-sum)
transport and then interpolate this new function (x,y,z) onto the density
coordinate using ZAXREPLACE.  In this way, you obtain a function in
(x,y,rho), which is the cumulative transport from the bottom to each
isopycnal.  If you integrate this function in x, then that's the
meridional streamfunciton you want, I think.  This is basically what I
do in my Fortran code.

Hope this helps,
Ryo