[ferret_users] computing Mixed-layer temperature

Dear all,

I have a netCDF file with the output of a ocean circulation model and I'm trying to calculate the mixed-layer temperature. I have all the necessary data in three files: mixed layer depth, temperature at constant different levels (25 in my case) and the depth of each layer (only for temperature). This is how it looks:
yes? sh da
    currently SET data sets:
   1> ./run021_monm.ocn.620-719.HMXL.nc (default)
name title I J K L HMXL Mixed-Layer Depth 1:100 1:116 ... 1:1200

   2> ./run021_monm.ocn.620-719.TEMP.nc
name title I J K L TEMP Potential Temperature 1:100 1:116 1:25 1:1200

3> ./depth_ZT.nc name title I J K L ZT depth from surface to midpoint of layer ... ... 1:25 ...

What I want to do is to calculate the average temperature between the surface (k=1) and the mixed layer depth (hmxl)(k=?). Since the mixed layer depth is probably between two levels (k) I have to interpolate somehow. Does anyone have an idea how to do it?
I tried with simple statements like
yes? let  temp_hmxl=temp[d=2,k=1:hmxl@ave,l=1]

but it gives a syntax error. So basically I have two problems: First how to specify to average between 1 and a variable number (hmxl). And the second, how to interpolate between the two layers.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Igaratza