Re: [ferret_users] height in meters

Hi,
Paul gave a really great general answer, and I'd just like to add a couple of simpler answers, which might be enough depending on your situation.

1) If the Z axis already has the coordinates you want, but is simply missing the units of meters, that is if it's in meters = 1, 2, 3, ... you can add the units of meters this with the command,

   yes? SET AXIS/UNITS=meters `u,RETURN=zaxis`
   yes? VECTOR u, v

Since you are plotting U,V vectors, we know that U and V share the same grid, so we can specify either U or V to change the axis, and that's all that is needed.

2) If the Z levels correspond to some other set of values measured in meters, then you can define an axis with units of meters and regrid the existing variables to the new axis with the @ASN transformation. This assigns the data to the new axis by just assigning them to the new coordinate values.

You can put the values in a list, or read them as a variable from a file, and then define an axis with units of meters based on that variable.  The number of coordinates in the variable "heights" must be the same as the number of Z levels.

   yes? LET heights = {0,1,2,4,6,8,...}
   yes? DEFINE AXIS/Z/units=meters Zdepth = heights

Now define new variables, with the same units as U and V and you can even give them a Name which will be used to label the plot

   yes? LET/units="`U,return=units"/title="U"/ uz = u[gz=zdepth@ASN]
   yes? LET/units="`V,return=units"/title="V"/ uz = u[gz=zdepth@ASN]

   yes? vector uz,vz

マウロ wrote:
Hello Ferret users,

I am a novice user and currently needing a help,

My problem is: although I could generate a cross-section, I want to change Z into meters.

Below follows the plot; instead 27 Z levels, I would like to change it into meters

best regards,
Mauro