Re: [ferret_users] calculate vertical velocity in ferret

Hi,
  Assuming the flow is Boussinesq (density constant everywhere except
where coupled with gravity i.e. incompressible) you can use

du/dx + dv/dy = -dw/dz

To do this in Ferret,

!div is dw/dz

let div = -1*(u[x=@ddc] + v[y=@ddc])

By imposing boundary conditions at the top and bottom of w=0 you can
integrate dw/dz to find the vertical velocity at each level.

Steve

Stephen R. Guimond
Graduate Research Assistant
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies (COAPS)