[ferret_users] ferret 5.51 does not have repeat/range

Dear Ferreters,

I am using ferret 5.51 which is the highest version for cygwin- XP. But this version does not have “repeat/range” command.

I count five-days precipitation summary in the period of 90 days in a region. With it I create 86 variables. I want to find the maximum of these variables. It works theoretically. And I also tried without a repeat with 3 variables. It worked.

Here is the problem part of the script:

let precip30=precip2*0

repeat/l=1:86 (let precip3`l`=precip2[l=`l`:`l+4`@sum,d=2])

repeat/range=1:86/name=a (if precip3`a` LE precip3`a-1` then (cancel variable precip3`a` ;\

let precip3`a`=precip3`a-1` ) )

let maximum=max(precip385,precip386)

I don’t know if I should 1) change to an other OS or 2) I should do something with cygwin and XP or 3) I should find out a better script to find the maximum among many variables.

Any suggestion will be appreciated,

Peter Szabo, ELTE