Re: [ferret_users] Problem with @AVE gridding on intermitent time series data

Here is the reply i send to Mike.....but forgot to add the email address
for the group....sorry about that...

Hi Mike,
          Some points to note :

  1. There is no missing values information for the time points over which
measurements does
        not exist. Instead, the time axis have only those time points over
which data exists.
        This creates the problem. Solution is to regrid the original data to
an equally
        spaced (10 minute resolution) time axis first. (The @XACT regridding
is ideal in this
        case, but it is not working properly for this dataset. See the point 2
below.)

  2. When you define a time axis, take special care to see that the time axis
values remains
        reasonably smaller (ideally to get real values which can be precisely
represented in
        a 32 bit machine). To achieve this, always choose proper time units
and T0. Also
        start your time axis name with the letter "T", which will help other
programs to
        identify time axis.

 What is wrong with your dataset? Due to the violation of 2 above (try
list/T="01-JUL-2007 19:50":"10-JUL-2007 14:00" t[gt=temperature], also notice
that the time delta is not precisely
10 minutes! all becase of this wierd time axis definition!), the time axis is
not at all
friendly for any operation in Ferret. For the same reason, regridding
operations like @AVE or
@XACT may not result in expected values.

I have some other ideas on a solution for this problem...but they are tedious.
Let me see
whether anybody have any quick fixes.

Your questions are most welcome....

Regards,

Jaison

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:07:36 -0700, McCann, Mike wrote

"http://dods.mbari.org/cgi-bin/nph-nc/data/ssdsdata/deployments/m1/200610/m1_ctd0000_20070405_original.nc";

--
Centre for Atmospheric
       and