Re: [ferret_users] blank symbol

Hi all,
I think Jaison is right that the best way to get what you want, Mark, is the string edit functions. I'd just add that you can do all of this without defining a blank symbol; if the symbol b is undefined, referring to it results in a blank.

yes? def sym a a

yes? cancel sym b

yes? def sym c c

yes? def sym d ($a)($b)($c)

yes? show sym d

D = "a c"

It would be a nice little addition to Ferret, to add some easier-to-use FUNCTIONS to do the string editing that's in the PPLUS  $EDIT command.

Ansley

Mark.Collier@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Group,

If I:

yes? def sym a a

yes? def sym b b

yes? def sym c c

yes? def sym d ($a)($b)($c)

yes? show sym d

D = "abc"

However, if I define a blank symbol b like:

yes? def sym a a

yes? def sym b ""

yes? def sym c c

yes? def sym d ($a)($b)($c)

yes? show sym d

D = "a c"

Is it possible for the blank symbol to not take up any characters and produce “ac” automatically?

Regards,

Mark.