Re: [ferret_users] Polar ice

Hi Peng,
          This error message pops up because you have not issued the
"set grid variable_name" command. The mp_stereographic_north GO file
uses grid values X and Y, without specifying the grid name or variable
name, to calculate x_page and y_page. Hence, you have to set a grid
for the current Ferret session using "set grid" command. If you look
at the beginning part of mp_demo.jnl (look at ferret/examples dir),
you can see the "set grid sst" command. Once this command is issued,
it will be effective throughout that Ferret session. (See User Manual,
Ref Sec31.5.  SET GRID).

try this example (adapted from mp_demo):

       use coads_climatology
       set grid sst
       go mp_stereographic_north

       set region/x=0:360/y=0:90/l=1

       shade/nolab/nokey/noaxes sst, x_page, y_page
       go mp_graticule 0 360 30 0 90 15
       label/nouser `($PPL$XLEN)*0.5`,-0.4,0,0,.20 Stereographic North
       go mp_fland 120 gray

Now, just comment "set grid" command and see what happens (in a new
Ferret session).

You will get proper aspect for your plot, if you can issue a

         go mp_aspect

just after "go mp_stereographic_north".

Please let me know if you have any questions....

Jaison

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Ge Peng wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I need to plot ice concentration in the polar regions (both north pole and
> south pole regions) using GFDL/CM2.1 ice output file. The ice
> concentration variable, CN, has an index of I,J,K,L. I would like to plot
> CN[K=@sum] for all given L. The figure should look like the Stereographic
> North in mp_demo.
>
> The data field is already on the conventional evenly spaced grid from its
> original tri-polar grid. I have tried to do the plots using the method
> described in mp_demo for the Stereographic North plot (see the script
> below) and got the following error message:
>
> **ERROR: inconsistent sizes of data regions; x axis of X position array
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --- Peng
>

> use 01010101.ice_month.nc
> go mp_stereographic_north
> go margins .2, .6, .2, .2
> set region/x=0:360/y=0:90
> shade/nolab/noaxes/key cn[k=@sum,l=3],x_page,y_page
>
> go mp_graticule 0 360 30 0 90 15
> label/nouser `($PPL$XLEN)*0.5`,-0.4,0,0,.20 Stereographic North
>  !-> PPL %LABEL/nouser 2.4335,-0.4,0,0,.20 Stereographic North
> go mp_fland 120 gray

believed to be clean.