Re: [ferret_users] improving fonts

I make gifs a lot.  I find that setting the window size larger makes a larger gif that has more pixels so has better resolution.  Try

set window/size=2 1

to set the size of window 1 to "2" which is kind of arbitrary.

But be cautioned.  I run Ferret on a Solaris machine but communicate with it via an XWindow from my Mac.  I cannot seem to get the window size larger than about 1.6; it gets no larger if I ask for a larger size.  I've found that the way around that is to run Ferret in the -gif mode, i.e. ferret -gif.  Then the size of the output gifs does get larger than 1.6.  Further be cautioned that -gif mode reduces one's graphical options.  I've forgotten the limitations, but one can find it in the documentation.

Edward D. (Ned) Cokelet, Ph.D. Oceanographer
NOAA/PMEL                         off:  (206) 526-6820
7600 Sand Point Way NE     fax: (206) 526-6485
Seattle, WA 98115-6439

The contents of this message are mine personally and do not necessarily reflect any position of the Government or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.