Re: [ferret_users] improving fonts

Hi John,
The fonts Ferret uses are "Hershey fonts". Here's a reference I found via Google about Hershey fonts in general. http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/6.50/Hershey.htm

A list of the font names can be found by looking up "font, PPLUS fonts" in the Users Guide index, which points to Appendix B Sec7.9.2 EMBEDDED STRING COMMANDS and in that section is a link to pages that show examples of all the fonts. For discussion of how to work with fonts, the place to start is Ch6 Sec 1 ("font, Ferret controls" in the index) and Ch6 Sec 6.2 ("font, PPLUS commands" in the index - scroll up to see Ch6 Sec 6.2 as well).

You can make a blanket font change with PPL DFLTFNT, though some of the plot labels, such as X axis and Y axis labels automatically get a particular font regardless of the default font. You can also change the font in an individual label by embedding @SR in a label to change to the Simplex Roman font.

John Graybeal wrote:
I find the default font presentation in ferret GIFs really unattractive (mostly due to the bit-mapping?).  Is there any 'stock solution' that is automatable, easy and effective?  I'm producing GIFs for presentation on the web.

I have looked at the FAQ on xfig but I'd like a ferret solution.  Also am aware I can change fonts (but can't find any list of what I can change them to...), but would like to know if an answer is likely to await me there before going to trial and error.

John