Re: [ferret_users] how to set a discontinuous region

Hi Igaratza,
              You can use the "masking" method to achieve the same. Please
have a look at user manual, Ch3 Sec2.5.  IF-THEN logic ("masking"). A simple
example is given below:

    set data coads_climatology
    let mask = IF ABS(Y[gy=sst,d=1]) LE 40 AND ABS(Y[gy=sst,d=1]) GE 20 THEN 1
    let sst_midlat = sst[d=1]*mask
    fill/l=1 sst_midlat

In the IF condition used above, "ELSE missing_value" is assumed. The ABS
function is required since you have to apply the masking on both hemispheres.
The new variable "sst_midlat" will contain only data for the latitude band
20-40, in both hemispheres. With this procedure of masking, you can perform
the required analysis in Ferret, where the missing values will be properly taken
care off.

Jaison

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 igaratza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to define a region for mid-latitudes of both hemispheres, let's say
> between 20-40 S and 20-40 N.
> I guess should be easy, but I don't find a way to do it. For ploting is no
> problem, I define first one hemisphere and after the other:
>
> set region/y=-40:-20/x=-180:180
> shade temp[d=1,l=1]
> set region/y=40:20/x=-180:180
> shade/ov temp[d=1,l=1]
>
> But I need some statistic of this two regions together, and this way does not
> work.
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks

believed to be clean.