Re: [ferret_users] descriptor file for netcdf files with no Time Axis

Hi Andy,
         From my experience, descriptor file DOES NOT need time axis (or
coordinate) for individual input files. The attached descriptor file worked
fine for me (with Ferret versions 5.5 to 6.0). Try this descriptor file
(after changing the file path to your levitus_climatology.cdf) like :

   set data notimeaxis.des
   plot/vlim=26:30 temp[x=60,y=10,k=1]

Your descriptor file and/or individual input files may be different from
this example. However, a comparison will help you to fix your problem.

Regards,

Jaison

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Andy Chiodi wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>  	I have run into a problem trying to use a .des file to link
> daily average netcdf files in time.  The problem is that the variables of
> interest in the netcdf files do not have a time axis.  This causes ferret
> to only access the final netcdf file listed in the descriptor file.
> Re-saving the netcdf with a time axis would work, but the number and
> size of files makes this option very unattractive.  Has anyone worked out
> an elegant solution to this problem ?
>
> thanks,
>  	Andy

believed to be clean.

 &FORMAT_RECORD
  D_TYPE        = '  MC',
  D_FORMAT      = '  1A',
 /
 &BACKGROUND_RECORD
  D_MODNUM      = '    ',
  D_TITLE       = ' To Test Files Without Time Axis ',
  D_T0TIME      = '01-JAN-1961 00:00:00',
  D_TIME_UNIT   = 86400.0,
  D_CALTYPE     = 'NOLEAP',
  D_TIME_MODULO = .FALSE.,
 /
 &MESSAGE_RECORD
  D_MESSAGE     = '    ',
  D_ALERT_ON_OPEN      = F,
  D_ALERT_ON_OUTPUT    = F,
 /
 &EXTRA_RECORD
 /
 &STEPFILE_RECORD
  S_FILENAME      ="/home/DATA/fer_dsets/data/levitus_climatology.cdf"
  S_AUX_SET_NUM   = 0,
  S_START  =   1875.0,
  S_END    =   1875.0,
  S_DELTA  = 1,
  S_NUM_OF_FILES  =   1,
/
 &STEPFILE_RECORD
  S_FILENAME      ="/home/DATA/fer_dsets/data/levitus_climatology.cdf"
  S_AUX_SET_NUM   = 0,
  S_START  =   1885.0,
  S_END    =   1885.0,
  S_DELTA  = 1,
  S_NUM_OF_FILES  =   1,
/
 &STEPFILE_RECORD
  S_FILENAME      ="/home/DATA/fer_dsets/data/levitus_climatology.cdf"
  S_AUX_SET_NUM   = 0,
  S_START  =   1895.0,
  S_END    =   1895.0,
  S_DELTA  = 1,