Re: [ferret_users] ppl xfor stops working.

Hi Ryo,
Thanks for writing back. Argh is right! I've fixed the manual, and I'll take a quick look to see why the space between the comma and the ' ' is causing the problem. The parsing of PPLUS commands is known to be picky when it comes to commas and spaces.

Ansley

Ryo Furue wrote:
Hi Billy and Ferret developers,

| The problem is the blank space between i5, and ''LONW''. Take that
| out and I think it will work correctly.

Argh!  SPECIFICALLY to avoid such a problem, I COPIED AND PASTED the
example from the Ferret Manual!!  Yes, the manual contains the blank.
I usually try to use examples from the manual as much as possible, and
when I do so, I copy and paste text from it to minimize the chance of
mistakes on my part.

(And thanks Tony for your email.)

Anyway, developers, I wonder if you could fix the problem.  I don't
think it's a good grammar if a blank space matters.

| Regarding the labels without degree marks .... You can in fact put | any text within those double-single quotes, and it will follow the | number. Therefore if you were making a map entirely within a single | hemisphere, you could get labels without degree marks by statements | of the form: | | ppl xfor,(i5,''W'');ppl yfor,(i5,''N'')

Thanks, and in fact I new that.  (That was the reason I said
"40S", "20S", . . . , "20N", "40N".)  Also, you'll get "-40S", etc.
in the Southern Hemisphere. . . .

| Personally, I insist on degree marks on map figures, and think that | one of Ferret's advantages over, say, matlab, is that it does make | these more professional-looking plots.

I agree to your last observation.  But, when I really want to enhance
legibility to its maximum, I prefer "40S" without degree symbol.
The degree symbol does contribute to professional-looking-ness but
slightly reduces legibility.  It introduces a tiny bit of extra
clutter without adding information.  (In a ordinary map plot, "40S"
clearly and unambiguously means "40 degrees south" even without a
degree symbol. That's what I mean by "without adding information.")

Cheers,
Ryo

--

Ansley Manke, NOAA/PMEL   ansley.b.manke@xxxxxxxx