Re: [ferret_users] calculating pressure from a reference depth

Hi Jaci -

The right way to do this is to test (part of) the result after doing the calculation! One good test, as you suggest, is that dp/dx is zero at the reference level. Another is to list the results of a @iin and the down-index operation on single profile and check it directly to be sure that it is doing what you expect.

I think the resolution of the discussion you link to is that @iin is correct in reverse but @rsum may not be as expected. Steve and Ryo hashed this around in that thread. Also see my comment about how to make @rsum more consistent at the end of the thread, in:

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2006/ msg00482.html

Of course, if you just need the pressures at a particular level, you don't need to do the down-index integration, just @din within whatever limits.

Billy K