RE: [ferret_users] equivalent to csh/tcl source command

Hi Mark,
         Thanks for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to see an
interesting question asked in the Ferret users list......

   Once you make a plot, the symbols like $XAXIS_MIN will be accessable
for the main as well as subsequent GO files. In case you want to preserve
some values for future use, you can use grave accents to define a new
variable, such that the value for this particular variable will not change
even if you make a plot with different viewport/hlim/vlim aspects. Here
is an example :

       plot i[i=1:10]

  Now the $XAXIS_MIN will be 1. Suppose you want to preserve this value,
  then define a new symbol (or variable...whichever is convinient) as
  follows

      define symbol x_min_1 = `($XAXIS_MIN)`

  The usage of grave accents makes sure that the exact numerical value
  is assigned against the symbol name x_min_1.

  Now make the same plot, with a differet XAXIS_MIN

      plot/hlim=-2:12:1 i[i=1:10]
      say ($x_min_1)              ! = 1
      say ($XAXIS_MIN)            ! = -2

  Thus, even if the present value of $XAXIS_MIN is -2, we get the correct
  expected value for $x_min_1.

Now, as we have seen earlier, all these variables can be equally accessed
by both the main script and the child GO files.

All I want to say is that, with Ferret, we can do the required stuff....
but may be with little tweaking around...

Thanks and Regards,

Jaison

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 Mark.Collier@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Jaison,
> Sorry (like usual) I didn't express myself too clearly. My issue was in
> regard to variables like $XAXIS_MIN which are not available in the
> "child" go script, as far as I can tell. I had to pass them through an
> argument, which works fine, but all I wanted to do was to interpret a
> whole bunch of similar lines and a few places in my "parent" go script
> and were not in regard to general session configurations.
>
> But your other ideas/clarifications are much appreciated. You are a
> tremendous help to the whole group and I would like to thank you
> personally with your selfless and clear contributions.
>
> Regards,
> Mark.

believed to be clean.