Re: [ferret_users] calculating the area of each cell.

Hi Mark,
          See this detailed mail from Ansley,

http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2004/msg00026.html

It seems like Ferret version 6.00 offer some improved area calculation.
Pleae see the following release notes for details (towards end) :

http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/Documentation/Release_Notes/v600.html

Regards,

Jaison

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 Mark.Collier@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wanting to compute the area of each individual cell on a 2d grid
> (the whole earth in my case) and are struggling to find a simple answer.
>

> use levitus_climatology
>
> let ones=temp[k=1,l=1]/temp[k=1,l=1]
>

> shade ones !this will give a land/ocean mask
>

> !how do I get an area of each grid for the ones 2d grid? ie. 360x180
> points adding up to ones[x=@din,y=@din] m^2?
>

> In my case I am using a dataset where the longitude and latitude grid
> bounds are exactly defined, with complete global coverage.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark.

believed to be clean.