Re: [ferret_users] Custom colorbar/ Multiple Palettes

Hi Ashley -

I see that Jaison has just posted his usual complete masterly advice, thanks Jaison.

I frequently use a similar palette idea, with a difference. I want the shading to range:

dark blue - light blue - white/gray - light red - dark red.

(Your message was unclear if you wanted a range of shades or specified colors as in Jaison's example).

A typical palette would be:

 0   20   20  100   ! blue
49   95   95   95   ! light gray
51   95   95   95   ! light gray
100 100   20   20   ! red

(Of course you could reverse the first and last lines to get red - white - blue, or increase the central range to, say, 45-55, etc).

Use it with the /LEV=c qualifier, or specify centered contour levels by hand.

Note that I have a very light gray as the central color. I find that is usually more pleasing to the eye than flat white, and merges more smoothly with the red and blue shading. Such a palette emphasizes the large values of a plotted field while making the near-zero central values less visible. An advantage of using light gray instead of white for plots that include blank values (such as maps with some land, or vertical sections with some ocean bottom) is that the blanks will be distinguishable from existing values that are near zero.

Billy K