Re: [ferret_users] How does the noaxis qualifier work?

Hi Ryo,
What should happen is that axes are always plotted only on the first plot, never on an overlay plot. So, once you've said /noaxes you should not get axes on an /overlay plot. That is what happens on a 1D plot. For these commands, you never get any axes.

  yes? set data levitus_climatology
  yes? plot/k=1/y=0/noaxis temp
  yes? plot/over/k=1/y=10 temp

So what you're seeing with the axes appearing on the second FILL command is a bug. I would just leave the axes in effect on the first plot.

Another option is to use the trick with overlapping a second viewport on the first. Here's a message with an example that shows how to do that.

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2003/msg00444.html

Ryo Furue wrote:
Hi Ferret users,

I'm wondering if this is what's expected with noaxis:

  set data levitus_climatology
  let allmissing = if (salt gt 1e8) then 1
  fill/k=1/noaxis/nolabel/nokey temp !! Plot temperature.
  fill/k=1/nolabel/ov allmissing     !! Plot axes only.

I meant to omit axes in the plotting of temperature
and to add axes later.  As you can see, however,
the fourth line plots only the frame and the numerical
labels on the x-axis.

I thought that plotting axes last is the cleanest way
when you overlay many plots.  (It seems that "normal"
overlays plot axes and numeric labels over and over again.)
Also, in one of my plots, an overlay actually mangled
the x-axis by overlaying different numeric labels than
preceding plotting commands plotted.  This was the actual
motivation for me to explore the possibility of plotting
axes separately.  But I haven't been able to reproduce this
oddity in a simple case, and I'll leave it at that for now.

Regards,
Ryo

--

Ansley Manke, NOAA/PMEL   ansley.b.manke@xxxxxxxx