[ferret_users] ferret won't work with thredds when called by LAS server

Please also send reply to lamm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can access a thredds by file when I do commands like
those below by hand, but when I try to do it through
a Live Access server I get:

------

LAS Error
The following error message was received from LAS:

Adding an acceptable error string: "*** NOTE: ".
        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v6
        Linux(g77) 2.4.21-32 - 08/23/06
         3-May-07 18:12

yes? cancel mode verify
yes? cancel mode interp
yes? define symbol mark_grid = default
yes? define symbol image_format = default
yes? canc data/all
yes? go std_initialize "http://gw550-3.coaps.fsu.edu/thredds/dodsC/eee";
"1" "1" "covice"
 **netCDF error
             OPeND(OPeNDAP/netCDF Error code 1001)
             Data set: http://gw550-3.coaps.fsu.edu/thredds/dodsC/eee
set data "http://gw550-3.coaps.fsu.edu/thredds/dodsC/eee";
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted

-------

At this
point, I have my root environment set where I can
as root, go by hand and get beyond the the

go std_initialize "http://gw550-3.coaps.fsu.edu/thredds/dodsC/eee"; "1"
"1" "covice"

without error.
But when the thing is run through las where it
calls ferret I get that error message.  I went and
said ./configure to make sure server/Ferret_configure.pl got run again
and I have
every environment variable set as I do for root.  It still does not
work.
Does anyone know what error code 1001 means?
Also, is there a way of writing out what my environment variables are as
it runs
on las or get ferret to write out more info?  I wonder where las stores
the data
it gets from the thredds server to give to ferret.  Maybe ferret can't
read that
directory?  Any advice at all?  Thanks.