Re: [ferret_users] Irregular Grid data Plot on ferret?

Hi Dan,

This may not be exactly what you are after but here is a short go script that I sometimes use to plot a variable from my model which has an icosahedral grid. For this grid the coords are specified using two 1D arrays, lon and lat, like you. The script uses the polygon command to draw circles at the locations. The downside is you end up with gaps between the cells. It's a 'quick look' approach if you like. Ideally what you need is a ferret command to follow the polygon shape defined by the lat/long coordinates but I don't think that's possible without some effort. I usually interpolate to a high resolution regular lat/long grid to do my analysis.

  Glenn

--
!  start
set mode verify
!
!       viewbbxy - plots lat/lon map of bucky variable on bucky grid
!
! Args: $1 - x range for go basemap e.g. x=180:360
!       $2 - y range for go basemap e.g. y=0:-40
!       $3 - polygon command arguments e.g. /lev=(-2,20,2)/title="pv"
!            note that /over/key is not needed as this script adds it.
!           $4 - variable to be plotted. e.g. sigma[k=1] (see note below)
!       $5 - (optional) scale factor. If absent, set to 0.8
\cancel mode verify
!
!  Note
!  The polygon script works by using the 'k' axis to produce the polygons.
!  Therefore if you have a region set for the k axis it will interfere
!  and polymark won't work. Likewise if you have a region set for the x axis
!  it will interfere with selecting all the gridpoints from the variable.
!  It's best not to set a region, but if you do, then only set one for the
!  time axis.
!

! save current region
define region/default save

let/quiet scale = $5%0.8%

go basemap $1 $2
go polymark polygon/over/key$3 lon lat $4 circle scale

! restore settings
set region save
! end