Re: [ferret_users] pseudo dataset name

Hi,

I thank Jaison, Billy and Ansley for pointing out several nice hacks. I now
use the dsetnum approach.

Concerning the suggestion that Ansley brought about below, it didn't work
for me at first since I stored the filename in a symbol:

yes? def sym soda = "
http://apdrc.soest.hawaii.edu:80/dods/public_data/SODA/soda_pop1.4.2"
yes? use ($soda)
yes? use another_netcdf_file.nc
yes? sh g temp[d=($soda)]
!-> sh g temp[d="
http://apdrc.soest.hawaii.edu:80/dods/public_data/SODA/soda_pop1.4.2"]
**ERROR: unknown data set: D="
http://apdrc.soest.hawaii.edu:80/dods/public_data/SODA/soda_pop1.4.2"

However I happened to find that if I enclosed the symbol within a pair of
grave accents, it then works:

yes? sh g temp[d=`($soda)`]
!-> sh g temp[d=
http://apdrc.soest.hawaii.edu:80/dods/public_data/SODA/soda_pop1.4.2 ]
GRID GQF1
name axis # pts start end
LON LONGITUDE 720mr 0.25E 0.25W
LAT LATITUDE 330 r 75.25S 89.25N
LEV DEPTH (m) 40 i- 5 5374
TIME TIME 528 i 15-JAN-1958 00:00 15-DEC-2001 00:00

so grave accents remove quotation marks? good to know.

D.