[ferret_users] Lag induces by a centered derivative method?

Dear Ferret users,

I calculated the temporal derivative of SST for a seasonal cycle (monthly values) and I think that it induces a one month lag which seems to be an artefact of the derivative method (centered derivative @DDC).

Does anyone already had this kind of problem?

To solve that, I wanted to find the polynomial (f(t)=At^3+Bt^2+Ct +D) that best fit my data, then calculate the derivative function (f'(t)=3At^2+2Bt+C) and work with f'(t).

So come my questions:
- Does it make sense that calculating a temporal derivative could induce a lag that is a artefact of the method (centered derivative)?
- How can I find, using Ferret, the polynomial that best fit my function?

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Kind regards,

Fabrice