[ferret_users] Re: Oracle Access with Opendap clients

On Feb 16, 2007, at 3:12 AM, gisbert.breitbach@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hello,
I'm a new user of Opendap and I want to use it for accessing our Ferrybox
data from a Oracle database.

So I installed normal Opendap 3.7.2 and also the new Hyrax with some
netcdf testdata and I have no problems with it.

I installed the DRDS too and I can access our data with a browser.

But I have problems to access the data form DRDS with a Opendap client.

First I installed Ferret (v5.7 alpha on a Mac).  When I try to access my
DRDS address I get a Bus error and Ferret crashed.

With Grads (v1.9b4) I get the error message "SDF file has no discernable X
coordinate."

I installed ncbrowse (1.6.3). Now I can access my DRDS address but only
the attributes are recognized. So I have no variables and cannot do
anything.

I have a few questions and hopefully some could be answered by somebody:
1. Is DRDS the actual best way to access database data?

You may be able to access the data using PyDap. I'll let Roberto answer here.

2. Do clients exist which are known to access data from a database with
DRDS?

I have been able to access data served from the DRDS via Matlab in the past. I have not used it in other clients. You might want to check access via the OPeNDAP Data Connector available from the OPeNDAP web site under downloads. Go to the retrieve panel and enter your URL in the window provided and see what happens.

3. Will a newer Ferret version on a different platform do what I want?

I am neither a Ferret nor a GrADS user but my guess is that the problem that they are having is that the metadata needed to interpret the data are not available. I've posted your message to the Ferret user's list as well as to Ansley Manke in case I can't post to the Ferret list.

4. Can I change the configuration of ncbrowse or DRDS in a way that the
sequential DRDS variables are recognized?

I don't know the answer here either - will need feedback from Potter on this I think.

Peter

Thanks in advance for your help
Gisbert