Re: [ferret_users] Edit plot's labels

Hi Paulo,
The automatic labels are done in a way that'll always work, but is not very pretty. Often once you have the analysis and graphics working there's a need to clean up the plot for its final form.

The thing to do is to make the plot with PLOT/NOKEY or PLOT/NOLABEL and then create a legend using one of the scripts

   legline.jnl    or   legend.jnl

For an example showing how to call legend.jnl, try the script

   yes? test_legend.jnl

For more discussion, look in the Ferret Users List archives, and search for legend, and legline. There are some variations on the legline.jnl, for times when you want to locate the legend according to absolute units rather than user units, and for times when there's an axis on the plot which is positive downwards. Some of the scripts from the archives are included in the Ferret distribution; others you will need to just copy from the archive and save in your local directory.

Ansley

Paulo Henrique wrote:
Hi Ferret Users,

I'm not experienced with PPL commands and syntax, and I don't know how to modify some default issues on my plots.

I'm using the command

plot vlm1, vlm2, vlm3, vlm4, vlm5, vlm6, vobs

and I get these labels in my plot, listed by "ppl list labels" command:

          XPOS       YPOS     HGT   ROT   UNITS
 LAB 1  8.000E+00  6.970E+00 0.060    0  SYSTEM  @ASFERRET Ver. 6
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     CENTER JUSTIFY LABEL
 LAB 2  8.000E+00  6.870E+00 0.060    0  SYSTEM  @ASNOAA/PMEL TMAP
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     CENTER JUSTIFY LABEL
 LAB 3  8.000E+00  6.770E+00 0.060    0  SYSTEM  @ASJan 21 2007 23:21:27
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     CENTER JUSTIFY LABEL
 LAB 4  0.000E+00  6.370E+00 0.120    0  SYSTEM  @ASYEAR : 2005
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     LEFT   JUSTIFY LABEL
LAB 5 2.530E+00 -8.100E-01 0.093 0 SYSTEM @ASVLM1[X=39W(-39),Y=3.7S]
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     LEFT   JUSTIFY LABEL
LAB 6 5.780E+00 -8.100E-01 0.093 0 SYSTEM @ASVLM2[X=39W(-39),Y= 3.7S]
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     LEFT   JUSTIFY LABEL
LAB 7 2.530E+00 -1.000E+00 0.093 0 SYSTEM @ASVLM3[X=39W(-39),Y=3.7S]
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     LEFT   JUSTIFY LABEL
LAB 8 5.780E+00 -1.000E+00 0.093 0 SYSTEM @ASVLM4[X=39W(-39),Y=3.7S]
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     LEFT   JUSTIFY LABEL
LAB 9 2.530E+00 -1.200E+00 0.093 0 SYSTEM @ASVLM5[X=38.9W(-38.9 ),Y=3.7S]
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     LEFT   JUSTIFY LABEL
LAB10 5.780E+00 -1.200E+00 0.093 0 SYSTEM @ASVLM6[X=38.9W(-38.9),Y=3.7S]
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     LEFT   JUSTIFY LABEL
 LAB11  2.530E+00 -1.390E+00 0.093    0  SYSTEM  @ASVOBS
 LINE PT:    0.000E+00 0.000E+00  NO LINE     LEFT   JUSTIFY LABEL

The variables are defined with the command "let/title=..." where the default label text must be the variable title - but it don't happens.

I would like to modify these default labels text (specifically "LAB 5" to "LAB 11") and eventually remove someone (maybe "LAB 4").

I think it's not difficult, but I tried some commands and got no results. So, how can I do this?

Thanks in advanced.

--

Ansley Manke, NOAA/PMEL   ansley.b.manke@xxxxxxxx