From: "William S. Kessler" <William.S.Kessler@xxxxxxxx>
To: "James Orr" <James.Orr@xxxxxx>
Cc: "William S. Kessler" <William.S.Kessler@xxxxxxxx>; "ferret ocean" <ferretocean@xxxxxxxxx>; <oar.pmel.ferret_users@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 1:56 AM
Subject: Re: [ferret_users] calculate the density with Pressure

Hi Jim, Dawn -

No, I don't think Jim is correct. If a reference pressure is used, then you must use potential temperature theta instead of temperature. It does not make sense to calculate density at 0 pressure but with temperature at depth (where the pressure affects the temperature). Instead, bring the water parcel adiabatically to the surface by finding theta, then use your reference pressure:

let theta=theta_fo(salt,temp,z[gz=temp],0) ! potential temperature theta
let sigma_theta=rho_un(salt,theta,0)-1000

See the documentation for the THETA_FO function. For sigma-2, use 2000 instead of zero in the above.

But I think Dawn is asking something different. Instead of z, she wants to use pressure. Frankly, I don't know the answer to her question ("the results are obviously wrong" doesn't give me much of a clue). However, I think she is on the right track, because I believe the 3rd argument to THETA_FO really should be pressure, not depth (the documentation is unclear on this point). I suggest looking at the reference given under the THETA_FO function (Bryden 1973). Then tell us so the documentation can be fixed if necessary.

Billy K