Re: [ferret_users] calculation of monthly means from 5-day means

Hi Wim-Paul,

Two steps:
  1. define the time axis onto which you want the data averaged
  2. request the average (a weighted average to allow for unmatched bounds of the time axis cells)
For step 1, you presumably want a Gregorian  monthly axis -- unequal month lengths, including leap years, etc. (interesting biases we work with in science, aren't they?)  See the index of the Ferret Users Guide (http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Documentation/Users_Guide/current/fer_html.htm).  Look under AXIS/Define for a general discussion of calendar types and under AXIS/EDGES (oddly) in Ref Sec4.3.  DEFINE AXIS   for a description of how to create a monthly calendar axis.  For step 2 the weighted averaging is done with the @AVE transform.  See Transformation / @AVE in the Users' Guide.

Here's an example:
! define a 20 year monthly axis starting in Jan 1950
let start_year = 1950
let nyears = 20
let indices = L[L=1:`nyears*12`]
let month = MOD(indices-1,12)+1
let year = start_year + INT((indices-1)/12)
define axis/units=days/t0=1-jan-1900/edges truemonth  = DAYS1900(year,month,1)
! examine one year of it ... just to have a look
show axis/T=1-jan-1958:1-jan-1959 truemonth

The weighted regridding is simply:
LET my_var_ave = my_var[GT=truemonth@AVE]
then
PLOT/T=1-jan-1958:1-jan-1959 my_var_ave
or whatever.

   - Steve

Wim-Paul Breugem wrote:
Dear ferret users,

I have a dataset of 5-day means. The corresponding dates on
a standard calender are given for the third day of the 5-day interval.
As an example I show you here a subset of the data:

yes? list/i=1/j=1/k=1/l=1:20 temp

03-JAN-1958 12 /  1:  19.04
08-JAN-1958 12 /  2:  20.35
13-JAN-1958 12 /  3:  21.18
18-JAN-1958 12 /  4:  21.57
23-JAN-1958 12 /  5:  21.53
28-JAN-1958 12 /  6:  21.75
02-FEB-1958 12 /  7:  21.94
07-FEB-1958 12 /  8:  22.03
12-FEB-1958 12 /  9:  22.39
17-FEB-1958 12 / 10:  22.48
22-FEB-1958 12 / 11:  22.43
27-FEB-1958 12 / 12:  22.63
04-MAR-1958 12 / 13:  22.92
09-MAR-1958 12 / 14:  23.00
14-MAR-1958 12 / 15:  22.98
19-MAR-1958 12 / 16:  22.99
24-MAR-1958 12 / 17:  23.01
29-MAR-1958 12 / 18:  23.08
03-APR-1958 12 / 19:  23.10
08-APR-1958 12 / 20:  23.15

Does anybody know how to calculate from this the corresponding monthly
means? Thus, how do I obtain the monthly means for Jan 1958, Feb 1958, etc.?
Note that the 5-day means are usually not aligned with the edges of the
months, so the 5-day means should not all have the same weight in the
monthly averaging.

I'm looking forward to a solution for this problem!

With best regards,

Wim-Paul Breugem

Steve Hankin, NOAA/PMEL -- Steven.C.Hankin@noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080, FAX (206) 526-6744