[ferret_users] Cancel Data SET problem

Dear all,

In the next script I am trying to cancel the original dataset and use only and intermediate variable dependant on such original dataset. However once the dataset is cancelled, further calculations with the intermediate variable are not longer possible since Ferret tries to use the original dataset again.

***********************
use original_dataset (contains original_variable)

let intermediate_variable=original_variable

list original_variable
list intermediate_variable

cancel data_set original_dataset

list intermediate_variable

Ferret does the firt two listings but after cancel original dataset it says:

**ERROR: variable unknown or not in data set ORIGINAL_VARIABLE

Can somebody tell me what is wrong with that? I am trying to free memory in calculations with very big files.

Thanks
Zie ook/see also: http://www.knmi.nl/maildisclaimer.html