Re: [ferret_users] Vis5D wind trajectories

Hi Ansley,
I tooled around more today with the wind trajectories and I am more certain that there must be something wrong with Ferret's output to Vis5D format. I downloaded a FORTRAN produced file from WISC/SSEC/CIMSS and got the wind trajectories to work fine on my local copy of Vis5D. After consulting with someone from SSEC, I rearranged my Ferret file to have levels in km instead of hPa with all var names/units correct and still the trajectories didn't work.
I will have to go the fortran route unless there is a quick fix from Ferret users...

Steve

Quoting Ansley Manke <Ansley.B.Manke@noaa.gov>:

Hi Stephen,
Replying off-line from the Ferret end; let's see if anybody using Vis5D answers and then we'll know what the whole answer is. It's possible that Ferret's Vis5D writing function is out of date and doesn't do everything that it should. It was written several years ago and has not been updated to include any newer Vis5D capabilities or updates. It'd be fairly straitforward to take the function, which is a Ferret external function, and make any updates.

I wrote the Ferret function, but I'm not very familiar with Vis5D and all its capabilities - I just hooked up Ferret output to the inputs to the Vis5D file-writing calls.

Ansley

Stephen R. Guimond wrote:
Hello Clan,
I am creating Vis5D formatted files through FERRET to view in Vis5D. With some playing around, I am able to make a ribbon wind trajectory at a certain time step. However, when I step through my times, the ribbon does not evolve, it remains only at the original time step. I have tried using the SCHL.v5d file that comes with the software and have created wind trajectories successfully, so I am thinking it may be a problem on FERRET's end. Has anyone successfully used the wind trajectory function in Vis5D from FERRET produced files?

Thanks Much,
Steve

Stephen R. Guimond
Graduate Research Assistant
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies (COAPS)
Tallahassee, FL 32304

~> ~> ~> ~> ~> ~> ~> ~> ~> ~> ~> Ansley Manke, NOAA/PMEL ansley.b.manke@noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle WA
Phone 206-526-6246, FAX 206-526-6744