Re: [ferret_users] (viewport to leave room for color key labels)

Hi Jörg -

Just define a viewport that is a tiny bit narrower:

def vi/x=0,.99/y=0,1 narrow
set vi narrow
shade/....

<rant>Of course, for presentation purposes it is better to define viewports using the /axes qualifier and avoid extra white space around the plot. While it is always nice to see Ferret graphics in peoples' seminars, it is disappointing to see them use the standard viewports with tons of wasted white space around the plots (with tiny text in the upper right corner that I know, but can't read, gives the Ferret version and the date). This is especially true for multiple panel plots, where the plotting area leaves room for the default labels for each panel. For example, in the standard 4-panel plot (viewports UL,LL,UR,LR), only about 55% of the window is used for plotting (including axis labels). Even if room to add a nice title above each of these panels is included, that is still only about 70% of the available space. Since one of the main problems with how people use PPT is that they leave lots of extra room around the graphics anyway, using Ferret's default viewports makes this much worse. Those of us who were around before PPT remember that we made our (plastic overhead) slides with the plot as large as possible, so viewers could read the axis and contour labels. But for some reason, most people using PPT feel that this is no longer necessary.</rant>

Billy K