Re: [ferret_users] use a finer coastline with go land and go fland

Both the etopo05 and the Smith and Sandwell topography dataset are available from the PMEL OPeNDAP server. Use them in Ferret with the commands:

    use "http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/data/PMEL/smith_sandwell_topo_v8_2.nc"

Or,

   use "http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/dods/nph-dods/data/PMEL/etopo5.nc"

I was able to double-check the addresses by searching the OPeNDAP list of data under the "OPeNDAP Datasets" link at http://www.opendap.org/data/

To substitute the Smith-Sandwell data set for the ETOPO datasets in fland.jnl, you would need to make your own copy of fland.jnl and edit it. These datasets are too large in general to use for plots the whole globe (the screen or plot image wouldn't have that much resolution anyway), or for large regions, but they're great for seeing the details of small regions.

Ansley

william s. kessler wrote:
The 5-minute etopo dataset is called etopo05 (note the zero).

There is a 2-minute topography dataset from Smith and Sandwell (1994 JGR 99(B11) 21803-21824), which should be available somewhere (for free?). That is as good as exists today, I think.

Billy K