Re: [ferret_users] Fancy line/label colors

Hi Jaison,

What a great utility -- especially to someone like me who has a bit of trouble with colors and
palettes. It may be that I don't understand it completely yet, but I had to set an alias

alias showrgb '/usr/X11R6/bin/showrgb /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb'

on one machine and on my Mac

alias showrgb '/usr/X11R6/bin/showrgb /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt'

to get rgb_colors to brighten my day.

Congratulations and thanks,
Mick
----------------------
Jaison Kurian wrote:
Hi All,
If you want have a fancy color for your line plot or label in
Ferret, always you have to search for its RGB values and then define a new "ppl color". I wrote one GO file (rgb_colors.jnl) to make this process easy. Its usage is similar to "ppl color" but instead of last 3 arguments you can use a color name (sounds interesting ?) :

For maroon color, the "ppl color" usage is like

yes? ppl color 5, 0.6902,0.1882,0.3765
With the new GO file rgb_colors, it is as simple as

yes? go rgb_colors 5, "maroon"

Color name should be in double quotes and there is absolutely no problem
with blank spaces or case (ie. "medium violet red", " Sandy Brown " are
just fine). One constraint is that the command "showrgb" should be available on your computer. Also the grep command should support the -w argument. Other details are given in the header part of the go file (see the attachment). Few examples are given below. Hope this will be useful...

Let us make Ferret more colorful !!!!

Regards,

Jaison

set mode/last verify