Re: [ferret_users] station data

Hi Nadia,
Ferret has two ways to show the values of scattered data points.
1) You can use the SCAT2GRIDGAUSS_XY function or the SCAT2GRIDLAPLACE_XY function to put scattered data onto a grid. You will need to add to your input data the longitude and latitude locations of the stations, in decimal degrees, and then call one of these functions to put the trend variable onto a grid which you will define. There are examples in the documentation. This method works best if there are many stations so that the gridding algorithm has data to work with over the area where you define the grid.

2) Or you can show the locations of the data without regridding, and color them according to the value of the trend variable, using the polymark.jnl script. Again, you will need the values of the longitude and latitude of each station, and then you can make a map and overlay polygon shapes at the locations, with the polygons colored according to the value of the trend. There is an example of this in the demo script polymark_demo.jnl; for this script we have an on-line example:

http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/Demos/polymark_demo/polymark_demo.html

If your data is in an ascii data file, see "ASCII data, accessing" in the Users guide. If your data is of this form (with the longitude and latitude numbers filled in for all the stations)

Trends Longitude Latitude Stations 0.81 74.30 31.58 Lahore 0.51 lon.xx lat.xx Islamabad -0.32 lon.xx lat.xx Karachi
Then you could access your data with the command:

yes? SET DATA/EZ/var="trend, xlon, ylat"/SKIP=1 filename.dat

Ansley

nadia.rehman wrote:
Hello, I have some trend values of different station data.some stations have positive and some have negative trend.I want to plot these trends values against their station on grids or in other words i want to convert these station data information onto regular grids.please help me in this regard. i have data in the following format Stations Trends Longitu
Lahore 0.81 Islamabad 0.51 Karachi -0.32 ....... ......... and so on,,,,,,,,,, Thanks Nadia Rehman Yousafzai Research Fellow (Climate Section) Global Change Impact Studies Centre First Floor Saudi Pak tower Blue Area Islamabad Pakistan Ph : 92-51-9219785 Fax : 92-51-9219787 ________________________________________________________________ Sent via the WebMail system at gcisc.org.pk
--

Ansley Manke, NOAA/PMEL ansley.b.manke@noaa.gov