From: Jaison Kurian [mailto:jaison@caos.iisc.ernet.in]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 1:22 PM
To: Jaclyn Brown
Cc: ferret_users@noaa.gov
Subject: Re: [ferret_users] saving from a descriptor file

Hi Jaclyn,
           If you want to write the data for l=1:122, there is
no need to open the output file with /LLIMITS qualifier. Just
go like this :

  use "/kuroshio/jb842/POP/ful.....
  set reg/l=1:122
  save/fie=u_1949.nc uvel

That is all !

In your method, The following line is fine

   save/file=u_1949.nc/clobber/llimits=1:122/l=1 uvel

I think the next line should be

   repeat/l=2:122 (save/file=u_1949.nc/L=`L`/append uvel)

Because, each time you have to specify the L index or indices
that you are appending to the file opened with /LLIMITS. This
method is used only if there is a basic difference between the
time axis of source data and that of the final output one or
say you want to do some processing only for a give period. In
normal case "set reg" or specifying region as
"save/L=1:122/file=somefile.nc/append uvel" will work just fine.

Hope this helps,

Jaison