Re: [ferret_users]:potential density and temperature

Potential density is always relative to some depth, usually 0. It is the density a parcel of water would have if raised or lowered adiabatically to the reference depth. Therefore, it is computed "as if" it was at the reference depth, not the full z axis.

The problem is in the last line. Replace Z[G=poTEMP] with 0 and this will be correct. You have correctly found the potential temperature at the surface, now you must be consistent and find the potential density in the same way.

Even so, the difference between potential and insitu density is not large at depths of 500m or less.

Billy K